Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I-ah-ah I work out!

So it's been another month. Boo. I got so wrapped up in school and finishing my final exams, and then with some family stuff that took over, and then, when I finished the semester, I had this overwhelming desire to do absolutely nothing! Which was lovely and everything but I needed to get off my butt!

And yesterday, I did just that! YEAH YEAH YEAH. I had all sorts of inspiration to get up and go. First of all, it was the first of the month, which like I said last month, the beginning of the month is always a great time to start anything. Next there was a post on Facebook by the runDisney page that reminded those who had signed up for the Disneyland half marathon (not the Tinkerbell that I am planning on doing in January) that it is three months out, and that it was the day to start doing the Jeff Galloway 3 month training programs. I took a look at it and it seems extremely reasonable and doable, so I decided to use it as a guide for the next few months! Then there was a video posted by Funny or Die of the cast of the West Wing advocating the benefits of just walking, which was entertaining and also good inspiration. And then I read the blogs of my good friends Bonster and CowboyChaser, who have continued running and I knew I had to get out again too!

But now, it is WAY too hot outside to run outdoors, so I had to find an indoor option. And I did! I went to the rec center by my house, and I actually love it. It's nearby, and it's small, so it's not too busy or crowded, but they have a small indoor track (10 laps = 1 mile) and a good selection of workout machines and I can get a monthly pass for just $30.

So I went and I spent about an hour there! First I ran for 35 minutes, since the Galloway plan says run for 30 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In the plan it says to like run for 10 seconds, then walk for 50, then up it to 15/45, then 20/40 and then to 30/30, but that just seems like too much calculations, so I just did one lap walking as a warm up, then did a mile jogging pretty good, then for the rest of the time I would continue jogging and when I felt too winded, I would go a lap walking. And I did awesome! My first mile was only 7 seconds slower than my fastest mile, 11 minutes, 48 seconds! I could hardly believe it. All in all I ran 2.55 miles, super proud of me!

And I didn't stop there! I actually WORKED OUT. Like on the machines! Wooohooo. I did crunches, and torso rotations, arm presses, and leg extensions and hip abductions and adductions! It was awesome. I'm a bit sore, my ab muscles especially, but it's good, that's progress!

So I will go back tomorrow. Gonna get my month's pass and go at least three times a week. Maybe someday I'll bump it up to more days, but I feel super good. HUZZAH.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl!! Pretty soon you're gonna have a bazillion ab muscles!! :)

    ReplyDelete